It’s time to introduce you to my favourite city in the world. It’s a dreamy little place with colourful houses, ice cream cafes behind every corner, and as soon as your eye gets used to them, you will find dwarfs everywhere. Sounds like a fairy tale? Welcome to Wroclaw.
I have had the luck to be able to live in this western Polish city for several months during the last years due to my dad’s job there. And I can’t even decide which season I liked best. Wroclaw is super hot and sunny in the summer, which is amazing to spend time in all the cafes – but there couldn’t be any more fail tale-like Christmas market or more beautiful New Year’s celebration than in Wroclaw, I’m sure. So many memories are attached to this place. So many drinks on the market place, so many ice creams. Now I’ll share my favourite secret (or not so secret) spots with you, that you HAVE TO see whenever you are in Wroclaw!
- Find at least 20 dwarfs. I know that I am at a count of about 90 dwarfs now and they still make me so happy! The dwarfs are a reminder of the anti-communist movement, which’s sign was a dwarf, as the people felt so tiny in comparison to the authorities. Today you can find 163 eating, kissing, cycling or sleeping dwarfs and they all have a story behind them!
2. The zoo. I’ve never been to a zoo that was made with so much love. The cages are huge and the animals can chose if they go in- or outside. Definitely check out the lizard house and the monkey house and make sure the sloths don’t drop their food on your head, as they’re FREE!
3. Breakfast at Central Cafe. It’s a rather hidden place but it is SO worth finding. You don’t even want to know how many lemon-ginger-mint drinks I have had so far! Try that drink and try the bagel with the camembert cheese, fig jam and arugula. So good.
4. Activities: Jump Hall and Zip Line Adventure Park (Wyspa Opatowicka). The hall with uncountable trampolines is just pure fun and the highest zip line was so scary that I almost got a panic attack. Pure adrenaline but in the end, just amazing!
5. Italian Street (Więzienna Street). There’s a street that could be straight out of Italy with the best pizza and risotto I’ve ever had. The atmosphere is so nice and the Capri restaurant just makes the best food. My favourite: pizza with parma ham, arugula, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Also spot the little Italian dwarf!
6. Market Hall. Take a look around the beautifully old building and make sure to take along at least one kilogram of strawberries for 5zl (1€). This place is where I did all my shopping during the summer. So much fresh fruit and veg and tiny prices! And a cultural experience at the same time!
7. Masala. Are you into Indian food? Well, it doesn’t get any more authentic than this! It’s always filled with Indian people, which is a really good sign I think. My favourites: Butter Chicken, Tandoori Mixed Grill and Mint Naan. And in winter the Hot Mead (don’t drink it on an empty stomach though or you’ll be very giggly when the food arrives!)! PS.: The ice cream place opposite Masala is the best one in town!
8. Street Musicians on the Church Island (Ostrów Tumski). Such a romantic place that will throw you a hundred years back in time and the violinists and other musicians make it such a beautiful experience.
9. Street Art. If you drive around Wroclaw in a car, still keep your eyes open! You can spot some of the amazing paintings on house walls!
10. I can’t really decide. Wroclaw is so beautiful that it’s hard to put into ten tips, what exactly you should see. So now you can let me know what your number ten would be! What is your favourite spot in Wroclaw?
Also, if you visit Wroclaw and try some of my tips, please let me know what you thought! I promise – it is definitely worth a visit!