This morning I talked to a friend about Christmas. It was the most interesting talk ever, as he told me he doesn’t like it, as it’s too commercialised and way too consumption-oriented. Gifts, gifts, gifts, that’s how he saw my favourite time of the year.
As you know, I LOVE Christmas. And that’s definitely not because of the presents. I barely ever want anything for Christmas, and the things that I give are more like “time” than actual objects. This year I’m organising a hotel in London for our family holiday trip, and that will be my present (I hope mum, dad or my siblings don’t read this!). Last year my siblings got tickets for the cinema, and the three of us went together.
So what, if not presents, makes me love Christmas so much?
- (!!!) Reason to celebrate. I know that one could decorate their house, cook well, write cards, surprise friends and see their family at any time of the year. But so often, we’re just way too busy. The holidays give us a reason to slow down, be together, make an effort and celebrate.
2. Christmas music. Especially the cheery American ones (this year I love Santa Baby) just make me so happy and want to sing along, wherever I am!
3. Sharing. Giving. Making other people smile. It doesn’t have to be expensive presents. I love writing cards or baking for my friends. Or just my little #BLOGMAS giveaways, they make me so happy, and nothing makes me happier than seeing you love them as well! (mum always said that I got more excited over giving presents than receiving presents)
4. My own Christmas traditions. My sister Lili and I always listen to Harry Potter audiobooks on Audible and I read the Chronicles of Narnia every year. But for me, baking with Lili and listening to stories from Hogwarts is just the best and most christmassy thing ever! On Christmas Eve we always first watch the Finnish Father Christmas on TV and then How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Do you have your very own traditions as well?
5. The whole spirit. Watching Christmas films (my favourite is definitely Home Alone!) whilst eating gingerbread, surrounded by fairy lights. All the scented candles (yesterday our fire alarm went off when lighting them). The smell of spices and pine needles. Christmas jumpers and socks are my new addiction. I can’t put it into words, but I love all the festivities SO MUCH!
As said before, of course we could do these things at any time of the year. But I love that Christmas gives us the reason to do all this, especially now during the darkest season. It’s so uplifting and I definitely love and live Christmas with my whole heart, trying to make the very best of it!
For today’s #BLOGMAS you can win a pair of champagne-coloured Reebok Classics in your size (worth 89,95€)! The giveaway is running on Instagram and here and today you enter by commenting what YOU love about Christmas!
The shoes went to Lena O.!
Every day until 24.12. a giveaway will be posted on one of my channels (usually my blog, but also Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or YouTube). You can enter by commenting on the post. The winner will always be chosen on the next day, at 22:00, and will be mentioned in the same post. You need to check it again to find out who won / on Instagram the winner will get a notification when he is tagged.