Guess what: before I never liked pancakes. To be honest, when I started instagramming, I just made pancakes because they looked pretty, not because they were yummy. Then I was diagnosed with my wheat allergy and stopped making pancakes at all (I HATE buckwheat flour!) – until I discovered gluten-free flour one day and decided to try making them again. And I have to tell you, I fell in love! With enough fresh fruit and some home-made jam or vanilla sauce they make the absolutely perfect sweet breakfast. And hey, they’re healthy too! As they don’t contain refined sugar, butter or white wheat flour there’s nothing in there that would be bad for you!
1 egg or chia egg (made of 1 tbsp chia seeds and 4 tbsp water)
1 cup gluten-free flour
1 cup instant oats
1 scoop protein powder
1 cup water
sweetener (I use FitnessGuru stevia drops)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Organic Burst Maca (for an energizing effect, optional)
+ vegetable oil for frying
1. Start by whipping your egg, or (for a vegan version) preparing your chia egg: mix the seeds with 4 tbsp of water, stir well and let sit on the side for a few minutes to swell.
2. In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients with a fork.
3. Pour in the (chia) egg and water and stir until the batter is completely smooth. Let it sit for a few minutes (the batter should be really thick! Otherwise add some more oats).
4. Heat up your pan and use a non-sticking pan for less fat.
5. Spread the batter slowly onto the pan – about 2 tbsp of batter make one little pancake.
6. Fry them from each side and turn around when bubbles start to build.
7. Serve hot with fresh fruit, jam or whatever topping you prefer and enjoy!