Today I just tried something entirely new and it turned out so good that I just have to share the recipe with you! I have been looking for ways to use my favourite veggie aubergine many times (please share your tips below!) and I have failed even more times (burning them on the grill for instance). But this time I succeeded big time!
1 handful cherry tomatoes
1 can mashed tomatoes
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves
salt, pepper, chilli
optional: feta cheese to serve
- Chop all the fresh ingredients into pieces – the aubergine can be about 2×2 cm big, the cherry tomatoes into halves, the garlic into small chunks.
- Heat a pan to 3/4 heat, add 3 tbsp of olive oil, pour in the aubergine and add about 1 tsp salt and 2 cups of water. Cover the pan and let it fry for at least 10 minutes. Stir from time to time and add water if needed until the aubergines dissolve into a creamy sauce.
- Add the garlic, the mashed tomatoes and the cherry tomato halves.
- When the tomatoes get soft, you can add the parmesan. Stir until the cheese melts entirely.
- After a few minutes you can season the mixture with salt, pepper and basil leaves. I like my sauce spicy, so I add a lot of chilli too, but that’s up to you.
Serve it all with pasta and a fresh salad. I like to add more fresh basil leaves on top, and if you like feta cheese, you can top the sauce with pieces of feta. Enjoy!